Monday, March 2, 2009

Water Globes

I've been meaning to review my Water Globes for a while now. I got my first one for Christmas and by the end of the week I'd gone out and gotten more.

Rating: 5 stars

I love these things. In case you don't know what a water globe is:

They're a bulb shaped piece of glass that you pour water into, stab it into the soil of a pot, and let it water your plant.

What I love about them is that all my house plants look so much healthier now that I have them. They get a constant small amount of water, helping them grow better and stronger. I'm seeing more shine, more leaves, and more perked up plants.

I have 9 water globes, 8 are from WalMart.

Crafty Gardener posted about water globes the other day and asked for opinions. I agree that bigger pots may need two globes or more frequent filling. I use a long bamboo skewer to poke a hole in the soil before inserting the globe. I use the same skewer to clean out any dirt from the globes tube. I find it easiest to fill all the globes on the same day, using the faucet in my bathtub (zero oxygen vs. the faucet in the kitchen that has a filter). I do them one by one, keep a rag handy for spills, and keep the skewer close by too. Smaller pots might tip over so I recommend bracing the globe against something (a wall, furniture) after insertion.

Having the globes reminds me to turn my houseplants (for even growing) since I poke the globe in a new hole each refill. They also force me to take a closer look at the soil and the plants versus doing a drive by watering. I have to say, my plants are happy and so am I. I can't wait to use these outdoors this summer.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Thanks for the link back to my post about water globes (which I just discoverd today). I love mine and now I've figured out the tricks to getting them to drip properly. I've put a small piece of copper pipe into the soil and then insert the globe when full. It stops the dirt from clogging up the end of the spout.